On May 19th, Pentecost Sunday, we are asking congregations to join us for a witness of Prayer and Faxing. Congregations are invited to set aside a time after church to gather together to write and fax letters to congress advocating for a fair, just and compassionate immigration reform.
As followers of Jesus we support policies that guard the dignity of each person created in the image of God.
- Read the news release for more information
- Plan a time of faxing at your church on May 19:
- during fellowship time
- along with a potluck or finger food refreshments
- after watching an immigration documentary
- If your congregation is not participating but you are interested in doing something, organize an event in your home.
- Publicize in your congregation and community
- Secure the use of a fax machine
- Talking points (PDF updated 5/13/2013)
- Draft a letter
- Research the contact information for your representatives (see link below)
- RSVP by filling out this simple form.
- Share the event with friends via our Facebook event page!
- Visit the Mennonite Church USA Facebook page and upload your photos. Make sure to include a caption of your location and congregation!
- Talking points will be provided by May 12th
- Follow this link to find your congressional representatives
- Resources for hosting a Town Hall meeting on Immigration
- From Peace and Justice Support Network of Mennonite Church USA:
- By Ken Nafziger—I Was a Stranger and You Welcomed Me:
- Prayer for Peace
JOIN THE 40 DAYS OF SCRIPTURE AND PRAYER
The 40 Days of Scripture and Prayer is an initiative of the Evangelical Immigration Table. May 19th marks roughly forty days until Phoenix 2013. Together we will join sisters and brothers from across the Christian family to seek God’s heart for immigrants. Watch Mennonite Church USA’s Facebook page for the scripture each day and download the bookmark list for congregational or personal use.