We have a variety of trainings available to add to your convention experience! Plan to arrive a day early and be enriched by the following training options. Register for these trainings as part of your convention registration.
Faithful Presence: Seven Disciplines that Shape the Church for Mission.
Presenter David Fitch | Cost: $45
- If you resonate with the idea of joining God in the neighborhood but have struggled to know what that means in real life, this is the seminar for you. Dr. Fitch will equip you with a framework that helps you learn to join God as a way of life by exploring the importance of presence, place and practices.
Healthy Boundaries 101 Fundamentals
Presenters: To Be Determined | Cost: $30
- Healthy Boundaries 101 equips pastors with the skills necessary to navigate pastoral relationships in a healthy way that benefits others. This training fulfills the requirement for boundaries training within MC USA. (Check with your conference to ensure this meets your conference requirements.) HB 101 provides participants with a broad framework for understanding the complexities of maintaining healthy boundaries in contemporary ministry settings. Participants will explore various boundary contexts; e.g., gift giving, dual relationships, preaching and pastoral care, interpersonal relationships, technology in ministry, etc.
Límites Saludables 101 Fundamentos
Presentador: Byron Pellecer Costo: $30
- Esta capacitación para el clero es crucial para un ministerio cristiano eficaz y saludable. Esta capacitación incluye conversaciones en plenarias del grupo y de grupos pequeños, ver clips de DVD y escuchar varias presentaciones. También se espera una interacción por parte de los asistentes. Cónyuges también son bienvenidos (as).
Welcoming immigrants in 2019: Tangible ways to put your faith into action
Presenter: Tammy Alexander | Cost: $30
- Participants will hear from panels of experts, tangible ways that individuals and churches can walk with immigrant communities to help meet needs and advocate for greater justice. Topics will include sanctuary and accompaniment, detention visitation and hospitality, legal services and asylum, and advocacy. Time will be provided for activities such as small group discussions, role plays, research to connect with local organizations and planning for next steps.
Laboring Together Toward Wholeness
Presenters: Jenny Castro, Linda Gehman Peachey, Regina Shands Stoltzfus | Cost: $35
- Do you remember the moment when you realized that you were created in the image of God? For some of us, this has been a truth we’ve grown up knowing. For others, it’s been a lifelong process of discovery. Shaped first by familial and cultural norms and then by peers, community and society, we each have developed an understanding of who we are created to be and how we are to be in the world. Patriarchy is a social structure in which men hold power and domination over all others. It is not God’s intention for humanity and creation. We offer an alternative vision. Note: Anti-racism training is a prerequisite for this training.
Revelation 7:9 Journey Towards Cultural Competency (Half Day Training)
Presenters: Karin Kaufman Wall, Michelle Armster | Cost: $20
- Mennonite Church USA offers many wonderful and faithful resources. One of these offerings is the Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI). This half-day training will introduce you to intercultural competency and the IDI. Through exercises, small group discussions and role plays, we will explore why cultural competency should be important to you and the church.